Thursday, February 8, 2007

I don't do emoticons


I recently googled a username that was my id on a lot of forums a couple of years ago. Quite a few of my posts came up on the first few pages and I was amazed to read them.

I still agree with almost all of what I said, but the tone seemed different than my intention. That's the problem with written language. It's hard to write a shrug, a wink or a grin that says I'm just pulling your leg.

That's why a lot of people use emoticons. You know, the smiley, frowny faces that say I'm really not being hardcore about this, just kidding. If emoticons aren't enabled, you'll see a lot of parentheses, brackets and colons used to make them.

I've tried, but I just can't do it. This must go back to when I was ready to throttle the next person telling me, no, ordering me to 'have a nice day'. The world was wallpapered with smiley faces, all haranguing me with the same sentence.

They say many beekeepers develop an allergic reaction after being stung over and over. It must be something like that.

When emoticons and their stick-figure cousins from text-messaging came along I felt my hackles rising again.

I see them and my breathing becomes shallow and labored. Typing them makes me break out in hives.

You'll just have to forgive me if my style comes on too strong:)

No comments: